As a teacher of Internet marketing, I get emails very frequently from subscribers and blog readers with a similar theme…
“I want to make money online. Can you help me?”
My reply is always “Yes, of course I can help you!” quickly followed by a question of my own.
“How do you want to make money?”
Imagine walking into a job recruitment agency and telling them “I want to make money!”
They will probably say, “Ok, you’ll need to get a job. What kind of job do you want to find?”
So, when you come up with the idea to start an internet business or start making money online, your first step is to think about “how” your going to go about it.
Here are a few essential questions to ask yourself that will make it easier for you to get closer to your goal of making money online.
- What business model am I going to follow? (similar to when the job search agency asks “what job are you going to look for?”)
- What am I going to sell?
- How am I going to sell/market it?
- Will I make a blog? Will I build a list? Will I create a membership site?
- Will I be an affiliate? Or, Will I create and sell my own product/service?
After you have a good idea of what you want to sell and how you’re going to sell it, you’re ready to move on. You can go and create your business and start marketing it.
And finally, two tips.
1. Research successful business models and borrow ideas from ones that work. There’s no point in re-inventing the wheel.
The same thing goes when you’re playing with ideas of what you want to sell.
2. It might be better to ask yourself “What do people want?” or “What are people already buying?”
It’s a million times easier to sell something they already want than trying to convince them they want it but don’t know it yet. In other words, don’t make it hard for yourself by trying to create a new market for your product/service.
In a future post, I want to talk about and compare some of the best online business models that I’ve used and seen used with success.
p.s. Are you still trying to find a way to make money online or have you got a firm grasp on what business model you want/have? Leave your comment below.